Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Lapses

It is not like I am not fishing, I am simply not fishing as much and focusing on oysters, reading, writing, and various aspects of private business (like being a scientist and figuring out ways to make more money...like flipping mud for clams and such).

The fish are around now. And so are the people. July 4th weekend, or week, made the bay rough with wakes and traffic. I chose not to even think about fishing and instead focused on shellfish. My scallops are coming along nicely and the baby oysters are cruising and things are going as planned. My farming partner, Alex, and I are working hard to establish the 2008 seed as our best yet. And everything seems great.

But the fishing is beginning to burn a hole in me. Joel and I just got off the phone and it seems that if we don't get some things in the works soon we may lose opportunity. Obviously, I can fish at will here on the coast and I have to try to make myself get up and face the crowds here and there.

I think that we're at the turning point in the summer: things are about to pick up.

All for now.

No comments: